Sunday 1 June 2008

Meeting(s) of the Month: Ipso Facto

As originally seen in Vice Belgium, here it is in English:

Unlike Goths of yore, Ipso Facto don’t mind a bit of daylight. In fact, Rosalie and Victoria from the band actually volunteered to sit in a sunny beer garden and tell me about their plans for world domination (next step is the Gareth Jones-produced second single, ‘Little Puppet’). Kids today, eh?

JT: A lot of people comment on your image before they talk about your music, does that bother you?

Rosalie: Not really, as long as they listen to the music, coz obviously it grabs people’s attention. It’s a lot better than looking like a load of sweaty indie boys.

JT: Do you dream in black’n’white?

Rosalie: Oh no, I dream in Technicolor.

Victoria: I’m colour blind. So for me, it’s just a natural choice.

JT: Are you really colour blind?

Rosalie: I didn’t even know that. No you’re not!!

Victoria: You don’t know, I could be.

JT: Who’s the funniest member of the group?

Victoria: Sam. It’s got to be.

Rosalie: [to Victoria] You.

Victoria: I’m not funny. I’m funny as in, ‘ahh, she’s a funny one, that girl’. I’m accidentally funny. I don’t mean to be.

Rosalie: Sam’s the comedian.

Victoria: I’m just a bit odd.

JT: Before your band came along, the last time the phrase ipso facto appeared in popular culture was when Jerry Hall said it in a Bovril advert in the 1980s. Jerry chose Mick Jagger over Bryan Ferry, was she right to do that?

Rosalie: Of course she was: Mick Jagger’s really sexy.

Victoria: He is sexy.

JT: And Bryan Ferry? Not as sexy?

Rosalie: No.

JT: How would you sum up Ipso Facto in one line?

Rosalie: Are we gonna say it again? Gothic Spice Girls.

JT: Is this a cliché?

Rosalie: We’re trying to spread this so we’re mentioning it in every interview.

JT: And do people take this bait?

Rosalie: I don’t think anyone has yet.

Victoria: They don’t believe us.

Rosalie: They’ll believe us when we dominate the world! Have a movie out…

JT: You’ll need a black and white tracksuit.

Rosalie [to Victoria]: You can be Sporty.

Victoria: I’m Sporty, Scary and Ginger all in one.

JT: What question have you never been asked in an interview that you wish someone had asked?

Rosalie: Don’t know. Errr….

…[Long pause]…

Victoria: God, we’re so hypocritical.

Rosalie: Yeah, we’re always moaning about how they’re always asking the same old questions, I wish I could write the interview. But now I’m put on the spot, I can’t. I’m sorry.

JT: Ok, what’s the dumbest question you get asked then?

Rosalie: So, you’re very like The Horrors, how does that feel?

JT: Do you have fans that follow you to every gig?

Victoria: We’ve got one: he’s Spanish.

Rosalie: It’s pretty much just one.

JT: One stalker.

Rosalie: And he’s probably going to read this.

JT: [backtracking] He’s not a stalker: he’s just a big fan.

Victoria: He should get recognition, you know.

No comments: